Friday, December 28, 2012

New Adventures in Education: England

After graduating from SUNY New Paltz, I decided to continue my education and go out to get my masters! What better way to do this, than go to Durham University in Durham, England!


I flew out in September and have been here for four months. I am playing volleyball for the University as well. Everything is a bit slower, people are much more patient.  They may speak English, but the classes and way of living here is definitely different.
Instead of taking multiple 3 credit courses, I am taking 5 modules.

These include:
Dissertation- pretty much my thesis
Research Methods- Prepping and ways of researching for your dissertation
Arts in Education- Super excited about this class! Can't way to see the different ways students are taught in the art room.
Special Education Needs (SEN)- Course directed towards special needs students and how to work with them in the classroom.
21st Century Technology- I'm hoping this course assists me while I am trying to figure out what my dissertation is going to be focused on... It should be cool though, learning about the technology England offers

The way modules run is very different. You are expected to take 24 hours of class, spread out over a month or so, or just a weekend based on the type of class it is. When you complete the main portion of the class, you have a summative assignment which is 15 pages long and argues a point or subject from the class. That's it. No test, no class participation. Just one essay that decides your grade for the class.
The dissertation is the largest focus though, that takes the most time. You are expected to have a research topic and conduct research to aid your paper. It is 43 pages long.... That'll be fun...when I get to it.

Should be interesting! I'll be keeping track of my dissertation on here most likely. My main idea is covering the concept of using social media in the classroom.. if anyone has any info, feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment